Welcome to Pulse! This is your guide to install it on a mobile device. We’ll be taking you through the installation step by step to make it as easy as possible. Keep in mind that you will find this within the main YouGov App, the old YouGov Pulse App will not work if you've received this invitation.
Note: this installation guide is for the new Pulse Android app. If you were invited to join Pulse before January 2020 or are looking for instructions for PC or Mac desktop pleases refer to this Pulse FAQ. For questions about what Pulse is/how it works please see our FAQ here.
For this version of Pulse, you will need to have the official YouGov Android app installed. If not already installed or prompted during the Pulse process, you can download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yougov.mobile.online
Read more about the YouGov app here.
After completing the survey you will be taken back to the home screen in the app where you’ll see a new widget at the top displaying “You have been invited to join Pulse”. It will look like this:
Let’s begin the step by step guide!
1. From the screen above click Start to begin the installation. This will open up a welcome screen where you’ll find some introduction information.
2. When you’re here click Get Started and the next steps will take you through the setup and Virtual Private Network (VPN) installation. A VPN is the technology that allows the Pulse app to monitor the internet traffic on the phone and it is required for Pulse to work as intended.
It is normal if it needs a bit of time to load.
3. The next steps will be about the VPN Pulse needs in order to function on your device. Click Continue on this screen:
4. After you clicked continue this will open up a screen saying that you should only allow the setup of a VPN if you trust the source (here YouGov), click OK to continue the installation.
5. You’re now about to install the VPN Certificate. After you’ve read the information on your screen click Continue at the bottom.
6. It’s time to name your certificate! You can leave the default as it is and just tap OK or give it a fun name you’ll easily remember.
7. A new screen opens up and you will see a small widget saying “YouGov Pulse is installed” on this screen. What you now need to do is set up the access permissions for Pulse. This can sound daunting but we promise it isn’t. The screen you’re on will look like this:
8. After you click Continue you will be taken to the Accessibility menu/screen for your device. This is often set per application meaning you will need to locate the YouGov App and change the accessibility settings for the YouGov App on your device. The accessibility can look different depending on your device, the picture below is one example:
9. When you’re here you find YouGov as mentioned in the step above (Or YouGov Pulse). Click into it and turn on the Accessibility Service. For example
10. When you’ve tried to turn it on you might get up another screen explaining what YouGov Pulse wants permission for. Click OK here to continue. (If you didn’t get up this screen go ahead to step 11 or 12).
11. You will now see a screen where the accessibility has been turned on as per the image below (again some devices might skip this and take you directly to step 12).
12. Congratulations! You’ve finished the installation of YouGov Pulse.
The only thing you need to do now is keeping it running to earn your points!